Friday, June 13, 2008

Hang your head in shame, Ang Lee

2003's Hulk got totally schooled by this year's The Incredible Hulk. And this is coming from someone who's never liked the Hulk character.

Also, I confess that, as a child, I was scared to death of Lou Ferrigno in the green makeup. I went so far as to refuse to watch the episode of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood where Mr. Rogers visited the set of the Incredible Hulk TV show, and the viewer got to see Lou getting painted up.

So. With the first Hulk movie, I went in with very low expectations. Remember, I didn't much care for the character, but I like comics and action movies, so I gave it a go. I didn't believe it was possible for a movie I had such low expectations for to go below those expectations. It was like watching something floundering in a tar pit millions of years ago, every twitch and panicked movement causing it to sink deeper and deeper.

Imagine my surprise when just the previews for the new Hulk movie had me excited. Not just interested, but damned pumped to see it (no, has nothing at all to do with a tiny cameo by Tony Stark *cough*), and that was unusual.

The movie made me start to like Ed Norton, who has always bothered me for some reason. He's an excellent actor, no doubt, but something just bugged me. He pulled off the angst and the frustration and characterization perfectly.

Liv Tyler managed not to fuck this one up (still angry about LotR), and she played a good Betty Ross.

The bad guy was suitably creepy, and watching what happened to him after just a small dose of what Bruce Banner got was really amazing. He really was a super soldier.

And as much as I really don't care for the Avengers (never liked Cap), I'm excited about what's in the future.

Marvel gets a thumbs-up for this one. If Wolverine can be as good as Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, I'll be a happy fangirl.

No comments: